Important Update:- Please link your PAN Card with your Aadhaar Card before 1st July 2017. If you are not able to do so then you will not be able to file your Income-tax returns. PAN Card would remain invalid until you connect it with Aadhaar.
How to link PAN Card with aadhaar Card is a very important question for every person. The government is leaving no stone unturned to make every official process digital in India. All these are being done to prevent duplicity of work, cut downtime of official deliveries and curb corruption to a significant level. The LPG connections were already made mandatory by the government to be linked to the respective aadhaar number of the consumer.
Now, even PAN cards are being linked to the aadhaar card. In short, what we can foresee is that aadhaar would become a central document that would be linked to every utility account that you have. For example, aadhaar number would be linked to your ration card, LPG connections, PAN card, Voter ID, Passport and so forth.
How to link PAN Card with Aadhaar Card
Even today, a lot of people in India wonder How to link a pan card with aadhaar Card and why it is important to link aadhaar card to every other account they have. The answer lies in governments’ intention to eliminate the fraudulent practices that are existent in our country and to curtain the fraudulent accounts from the database. We have often heard of fraud people having more than one permissible PAN card or Voter ID. All these linkages are being done to eliminate such misuse by prospective frauds.
We often wonder why it is aadhaar card only which is becoming the basis of the identity of an individual in India. The answer to this is that it is only aadhaar card that contains all possible information of any person including their biometric identity. It can’t be duplicated and thus any other account like PAN card or Voter ID, which are not connected to any aadhaar card would automatically become null and void.
Paying taxes was never so easy before PAN Cards were linked to your aadhaar Card. Now, you do not have to send your ITR V acknowledgement if your aadhaar number is linked to your PAN Card. As of now, the service has been started by the income tax department, however, it would soon become mandatory for people to attach their PAN card numbers to their aadhaar number.
In this article How to link pan card with aadhaar Card, we would cover step by step procedures through which you can link your PAN Card to your aadhaar Card.
How to link pan card with aadhaar Card
- In the first place, you need to login into your e-filling portal
- Once you have opened the e-filling portal, a pop-up window would appear on your screen that would prompt you to link your aadhaar number.
- If the pop up does not appear automatically, you can go to profile settings and search for the main menu and click on the link that says aadhaar linked to PAN.
- You would be required to enter your aadhaar number in the field provided, however, before you do so, you should check if the name, gender, date of birth and other details match with the one given on your PAN Card.
- This is important because the income tax department would verify and cross-check these details.
- Once you notice that all information matches, you can put in your aadhaar number and click on ‘Link Now’
- Once the validation is done, your aadhaar number would be linked to your PAN Card
- It is to be noted here that your aadhaar number would be linked to your PAN number only when the details listed on your PAN card are exactly the same as that mentioned on your aadhaar card.
Problems regarding Aadhaar and PAN linkage
Though the steps of linking aadhaar and PAN are easier but lately many taxpayers are facing problems to link the same.
It has been seen that people who have different names written on these documents are mostly facing problems. Many people have their full name on the PAN card while initials are written on the aadhaar. If this happens with anyone, or their names are misspelt in both these cards, then the problem arises. In this case, the taxpayer cannot be able to link aadhaar with PAN. Now IT department has come up with a direct way to link in this case
- Fill your PAN Card Details
- Fill in your aadhar card number
- Fill your name as per Aadhaar Card
- Enter the image code as liking is done
- Note:- You should have your gender and Date of birth the same in your PAN and Aadhaar card database.
An alternative way to link Aadhaar-PAN
As the finance minister has declared aadhaar linkage as a mandatory process, the authority has decided to start an alternative way to link the same.
- According to the authority of the taxpayer wants to update their names on the aadhaar card, they have to upload their PAN card’ scanned copy in the Aadhaar website.
- Log in to the Aadhaar website with your login ID and date of birth. Once you are logged in, go to update your profile. In this section change/update your name as per PAN and click on submit.
- For the verification, one has to upload a scanned copy of the PAN card as identity proof. Once the upload and verification will be done, the name will be updated automatically.
- Another way to link aadhaar with PAN is to generate a Time Password. Go to the income tax e-filing portal and ask for OTP. Through this OTP one can link the aadhaar-PAN.
- To get the OTP one has to have an active mobile number that is registered with their aadhaar card. Also, the year of birth must be the same in both of these documents.
This step is taken by the union government to stop tax evasion in the country. Many cases show many people hold more than one PAN card to evade heavy tax. Among 25 Cr taxpayers, only 6 Cr are paying income tax properly. This step will be able to track fraudulent and also it will help the authority to identify proper taxpayers.